Friday, June 4, 2010

In the beginning...

So, I'm starting this blog so that I can document all of my crafty escapades..good, bad and ugly.


I've tried to be crafty my entire life and I usually succeed about 50% of the time. In the last few years, I've tried my hand at sewing, but still haven't totally gotten the hang of it. I've made homemade dog treats which were fun but with my dogs as the only customers, only managed to make them fat. I also learned to crochet. So far, this has been the crafty avenue that I've found the most success. It took me quite a while but I finally picked it up, and before you knew it, I was learning different stiches and teaching myself new things and even surprising myself a few times with the way things turned out. So, needless to say, I'm now on a crochet kick since I've finally found a hobby I'm actually good at!


I hope to use this blog as a way to show off my work a little, but most of all I hope it will keep me motivated to continue to make cool things...with the intent of showing them off obviously.


So, without further ado, I present Hercomer. Hercomer is a Zombiebot. I bought a book of how-to crochet Crobots and this was my first attempt. I made him as a gift for Jason, since this was his favorite. It took me 2 nights: 1 night to crochet all the pieces, and another night to piece him together and add the accessories/notions. It was a little difficult at first since I had never worked with a crochet hook this small (size B) and since the bot is so little, you have to get used to fiddling around a bit. He is comprised mostly of single crochet stiches so pretty simple even if you're a beginner. If you can crochet in the round, you can make these! And even if you can't, you can learn pretty quickly! The book I got, Crobots: 20 Amigurumi Robots to Make, by Nelly Pailloux, even has a section at the beginning that explains all stiches and techniques that are required to make any projects in the book.


Okay, now for the good stuff. Here's Hercomer-

After the first night- all in pieces:





All finished:



One Happy Customer/Husband:



Next Post: baby gifts!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment